Future Electric Utility Regulation Series
The Future Electric Utility Regulation Series, a series of reports from Berkeley Lab, taps leading thinkers to grapple with complex regulatory issues for electricity.
The electric sector in the United States is seeing significant changes in technologies, customer desires, load growth, and federal and state policies and regulations. These reports tap leading thinkers with diverse perspectives on the future of electric utility regulation and business models and achieving a reliable, affordable, clean and flexible power system.
To receive news about Future Electric Utility Regulation, such as upcoming reports and webinars, please sign up for our mailing list below.
Reports published to date:
- Distributed Energy Resources (DERs), Industry Structure and Regulatory Responses
- Distribution Systems in a High DER Future: Planning, Market Design, Operation and Oversight
- Performance-Based Regulation in a High DER Future
- Distribution System Pricing With DERs
- Recovery of Utility Fixed Costs: Utility, Consumer, Environmental and Economist Perspectives
- The Future of Electricity Resource Planning
- The Future of Centrally-Organized Wholesale Electricity Market
- Regulatory Incentives and Disincentives for Utility Investments in Grid Modernization
- Value-Added Electricity Services: New Roles for Utilities and Third-Party Providers
- The Future of Transportation Electrification: Utility, Competitive Market and Consumer Perspectives
- Utility Investments in Resilience of Electricity Systems
- Advancing Equity in Utility Regulation
- The Role of Innovation in the Electric Utility Sector
Also see the following related reports:
State Performance-Based Regulation Using Multiyear Rate Plans for U.S. Electric Utilities (July 2017). https://emp.lbl.gov/
Renewable Energy Options for Large Utility Customers (2019), by Lori Bird, Priya Barua, Heidi Bishop and Celina Bonugli, World Resources Institute; Steve Chriss, Walmart Inc.; and Xcel Energy. Edited by Lisa Schwartz, Berkeley Lab. Webinar recording and PDF. Report PDF.
All-Source Competitive Solicitations: State and Electric Utility Practices (2021), by Dr. Fredrich Kahrl. Edited by Lisa Schwartz, Berkeley Lab. Report and webinar materials: https://emp.lbl.gov/publications/all-source-competitive-solicitations.